The TMMi Model
The model looks at software quality management and testing at maturity levels, with the starting assumption that all organizations start level 1 of the maturity ladder. The more mature an organization’s practices the higher level of maturity the organization fulfils.
The model has a staged architecture for process improvement. It contains levels through which an organization passes as its testing process evolves from one that is ad hoc and unmanaged, to one that is managed, defined, measured, and optimized, see figure 1 below. Achieving each level ensures that an adequate improvement has been laid as a foundation for the next stage.
Test process improvement efforts are focused on the needs of the organization in the context of its business environment. Moving through the different maturity levels increases the capability of test and software quality management to align with the needs of the business or project.
The benefits being improved software quality with fewer defects and higher quality being produced.
The TMMi scheme consists of two certifications; the TMMi Professional (builds the Foundation) & the TMMi Test Process Improver.
Further information can be found here.
TMMi Professional Certification
The TMMi Professional qualification is aimed at anyone involved in using the TMMi model.
This includes people in roles such as test process improvers, test consultants, TMMi (lead-)assessors, business stakeholders, test managers, and members of a Test Process Group.
This TMMi Professional qualification is appropriate for anyone who wants a basic understanding of the TMMi model.
Holders of the TMMi Professional Certificate will be able to demonstrate a level of knowledge required as a prerequisite to become an accredited TMMi lead-assessor or assessor.
The TMMi® Professional certificate is an important aspect of the overall TMMi® program with the goal to develop a more mature and controlled process of software testing.
TMMI is an independent and industry recognized model for test process improvement and the assessment of testing and quality related processes.
The TMMi Professional is able to perform each of the following tasks:
- Explain to management the business importance of test process improvement
- Guide and advice an organization or project when using the TMMi model as a basis for their test process improvement, both in traditional sequential lifecycle environment as Agile context.
- Providing support in the interpretation and understanding of the TMMi model, including the relationship of the TMMi to the CMMI model
- Act as a co-assessor in informal TMMi assessments
- Participate in programs for improving the test process within an organization or project and can identify critical success factors
TMMi Professional Exam
The format of the examination is multiple-choice. Exams may be taken as part of a training course or independently (e.g., an on-line exam at an examination center or a public exam). It is recommended, but not compulsory to attend a TMMi Professional Training Course before taking the exam.
The examination shall comprise 40 multiple-choice questions. The number of points available in an examination is 40.
Each correctly answered question is worth one point. The time allowed for the examination is 60 minutes, if given in the candidate’s native language.
If the candidate’s native language is not the examination language, the time allowed is 75 minutes. A score of at least 65% (26 or more points) is required to pass.
TMMi test process improver
Organizations seeking to improve their level of test maturity using the TMMi Model depend on experienced and qualified individuals to effectively assess and facilitate test improvement.The expectation is that a certified TMMi test process improver will be able to provide thorough support within their organization or project to initiate, implement, and support TMMi based improvements to testing such that business value is provided to sponsors and stakeholders.
This qualification is intended to support career path development and create visibility for those involved in TMMi based test process improvement.
- A certified TMMi test process improver is able to initiate and manage a test improvement project, and successfully implement TMMi based improvements in an organization or project.
- A certified TMMi test process improver has advanced knowledge and skills in the areas of testing, TMMi, process improvement and assessments.
- A certified TMMi test process improver can use the associated logo, e.g., as an email signature, to show their achievement to their stakeholders and the market
- Being a TMMi test process improver is a career step for those involved in test consultancy and test process improvement.
- By having employees that hold the TMMi test process improver certificate, an organization can show to their stakeholders and to the market that they have the expertise to perform TMMi based test process improvement activities successfully.
Certified TMMi test process improver is a so-called super scheme, it builds on other exams and certification but does not involve a specific itself.
Eg., for TMMi knowlegde it required TMMi Professional and for testing is requires ISTQB certification.
Certified TMMi test process improver is the next step after TMMi Professional for consultants in the TMMi carreer path.
- Copy of TMMi® Professional Certificate
- Copy of ISTQB® Certificates (not Foundation Level)
- Copy of applicable Assessor Certificate(s)
- Copy of other relevant Certificate(s)
- Copy of Course Attendance Certificate(s)
With this application form, candidates can apply for the title of being a TMMi® test process improver and are allowed to use the related logo.
Please take your time and fill the form correctly using capital letters and send it to email@example.com.
All documents (invoices / certificates) will be distributed via Email as PDF documents.
If there is anything unclear, please do not hesitate to contact us.
All up-to-date documents can be downloaded directly at the TMMi website.
You can find the download section of the TMMi website here.
GASQ is an official Exam Provider for the TMMi certification scheme.
I have lost my certificate. Is it possible to apply for a new one?
It is possible to apply for a replacement certificate; a processing fee of € 35 will be charged.
Is it possible to review the exam?
For a fee of € 80, a target-actual comparison can be performed at our business premises in Nuremberg, Germany. Conducting a target-actual comparison means that you will be presented the exam questions along with the solutions. You will have a time limit of 15 minutes to conduct this review. Subsequently, you will be denied access to the questions that are currently being used in the exam.
If I do not pass, is it possible to take the exam again?
Yes, you can re-take the exam; however, you will be charged another exam fee.
Do I have to meet any prerequisites to participate the TMMi Professional Exam?
When will my certificate expire?
All TMMi certifications are lifelong valid and have no expiration date.
Will I incur any other fees besides the exam fee?
Will I have to attend a course before I sign up for the exam?
No, attending a course is a choice you make at your discretion. You can also take the test by self-study. However, we recommend you attend a course offered by an accredited training provider.
Will you notify my supervisor/employer as to whether I have passed or failed the exam?